Hammam Towel Guide
About Hammam Towels
Our hammam towels are all handwoven in a wide array of absolutely glorious colours. They make fantastic beachwear as wrap around sarongs, lightweight towels or picnic blankets. They also have many uses around the home, such as attractive tablecloths or casual throws. We stock towels that are 100% cotton or a mixture of both cotton and bamboo.
Hammam towels, which are also known locally as pestemals, are traditionally used in baths and steam rooms in Turkey. They are very lightweight, easy to carry around, and fit neatly into any bag, unlike a conventional bulky towel. They absorb moisture easily and are also fast drying. Because hammam towels are neat and compact they take up a lot less room in the washing machine than conventional towels and so are very much an eco-friendly product.
Caring for your Hammam Towel
We would advise washing before use as follows:
- If your towel has a fringe then before washing for the first time pull the knots, this will ensure none of them come undone
- If possible allow the hammam towel to soak in cold water for about 12 hours, this will make the fibres stronger, absorption better and reduce shrinkage (this is not a necessary step though)
- Either hand wash or cool machine wash as this helps to retain the shape of the towel
- Fabric softener can make a hammam towel less absorbent so try not to use it or use as little as possible
- Wash with similar colours
- Machine dry on a low heat or air dry if possible
- Ironing a hammam towel can make it less absorbent as it causes the fibres to close
What are the advantages of Bamboo Fibre?
- It is a natural fibre, allows your skin to breath and absorbs water quickly
- It has anti bacterial qualities, so bacteria can't live in this fabric which helps prevent the towels from smelling
- It has a strong anti-UV ability and so helps to cut out UV rays, this makes it perfect for holiday coverups
- It is eco-friendly as it thrives without the use of pesticides or fertilisers and is the fastest growing plant in the world
- It is also biodegradable